This position's purpose is to provide opportunities for the student to experience practical application of mechanical/industrial engineering to supplement classroom learning. These opportunities will consist of a main project which extends over the length of the co-op along with smaller projects associated with the various Design Engineers occurring in parallel. The co-op will take place within the Engineering department of Anderson Power Products based in Sterling, MA. Anderson Power Products designs and manufactures electrical connectors for high power applications including batteries, chargers, electric vehicles, etc. This role receives work from the Design Engineering team. The main long-term project will be under the guidance of Senior Design engineers with the opportunity to present your findings at the end of the co-op term. The position requires interface with all individuals of the organization, outside vendors, customers, and company representatives.
Design software used: SOLIDWORKS, SOLIDWORKS FEA Simulation Package & Autodesk Moldflow
▪ Design mechanical components for use in connectors and plastic assemblies.
▪ Perform functional testing to evaluate designs.
▪ Develop and modify 3D models & 2D drawings for both new and existing products.
▪ Perform Finite Element Analysis (FEA) and exposure to Failure Modes and Effects Analysis (FMEA).
▪ Assist engineering team (Moldflow, FEA, Drawings, test/assembly fixture design, test reports tolerance analysis etc.)
▪ Pursuing a four-year engineering Degree
▪ Plastics, mechanical, or electrical aptitude
▪ Microsoft office proficient
▪ 2 Years of collegiate experience
▪ Problem solving skills
▪ Familiarity with 3D modeling
▪ Access to onsite manufacturing (injection molding & automated assembly)
▪ Dedicated engineering lab for prototyping (onsite FDM printers and offsite SLA printers)
▪ Access to UL certified testing lab for verification of designs
▪ Monthly events for all employees